While many people have heard of the Smoky Mountains at one point in their lives, many do not
realize that, according to US News and World Report Magazine, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is now #2 of the Top 10 Best National Parks in the USA (June 2017). These mountains have attracted over 11 million visitors in 2016 with:
With all this being said, the Smoky Mountains has something for everyone!
By now you are probably asking the question: "but why would you want to visit the Smoky Mountains in the winter?" Let us answer that question for you from our own personal experience!
So what does a Winter Vacation look like in the Smoky Mountains? Just stick with us and we will let you in on what we like to call "Tennessee's Top 10" for the winter season! Let's get started!
1. Pigeon Forge Winterfest- This gorgeous Winterfest runs from Nov 6th through February 28th. Come and witness when the Smoky Mountains is turned into a magical Fairyland. Drive among hundreds of twinkling displays throughout Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg with over 15 million lights. The Winterfest weekend kickoff takes place in downtown Pigeon Forge, starting November 6th. This kickoff sets the Christmas Season into motion with its many activities which include a chili cook-off and many shows and plays that you just can't miss!
2. Ober Gatlinburg Amusement Park & Ski Area: Ober Gatlinburg has a ton of fun ready for the whole family including skiing, ice skating, snowboarding, shopping and so much more! Also, make sure to take their aerial tram to the top of the mountain in order to not miss the view!
The aerial tram that many visitors opt to take, due to the breath-taking view.
3. Christmas Place: Celebrating the spirit of Christmas 365 days a year, stop by the Christmas Place for Christmas gifts, treasures, personalized ornaments, and designer Christmas trees. They proudly boast of a 43,000 square foot Christmas Extravaganza!
4. Cades Cove: How about a Winter Picnic among the wildlife! An 11-mile loop of historic sites, beautiful foliage, and mountain views. Attracting more than 2 million visitors every year, this is the #1 destination for visitors within the Great Smoky Mountains.
5. Winter Hiking: Check out the many hiking trails throughout the Smoky Mountains. The 4 best trails include the Laurel Falls Trail, the Alum Cave Trail, the Andrew Bald trail and the Porters Creek trail. These trails possess amazing scenery that can only be witnessed during the winter seasons such as frozen waterfalls and icicle formations! Nature Lovers, you won't want to miss out on these!
One of the picturesque light displays that can be found in Dollywood!
6. Dollywood: This unique theme park features the Winter Festival Smoky Mountain Christmas with many spectacular light displays, 40 carnival rides, games and 15 shows centered on the true meaning of Christmas. Check out this award-winning destination starting Nov 4th through Jan 1st!
7. Sevierville Tanger Outlet Mall: The best prices of the season can be found here! There is something for everyone especially for budget-minded shoppers, because during this time of year there are huge discounts on some great brands! There are so many stores and little shops, that you are guaranteed to find something to your liking!
The museum building helps to create a
suspenseful and adventurous atmosphere!
8. Alcatraz East Crime Museum: A newer attraction at the Island, this museum is a look into American Crime History. It's kid friendly with many artifacts, 5 galleries featuring the History of Crime, Crime Scene Investigation, Consequences of Crime, Crime Fighting and Pop Culture. CSI has nothing on this!
Ripley's is the perfect location for a family outing!
9. Ripley's Aquarium: This unique aquarium located in downtown Gatlinburg was given the Trip Advisor 2017 Certificate of Excellence, and has over 10,000 exotic sea creatures in a state of the art facility that is enjoyable for the whole family!
10. Arts and Crafts Community: Located in downtown Gatlinburg, this unique community has about 120 artisans displaying their wares which represent every area of the arts, including painting, sculpture, photography, candles, pottery, furniture, wood projects and bath and body items.
A festive and relaxing stay
One of our cabins in all of its festive splendor!
While visiting and enjoying all that the Smokey Mountains have to offer, a cabin is a picture-perfect atmosphere for a Thanksgiving/Christmas celebration. No matter how you choose to spend your day, return to your cabin with a cup of warm cocoa while you sit in front of the fireplace watching the snow fall softly or take in breathtaking panoramic mountain views in the comfort of your own cabin. Our cabins set the stage for a perfect holiday with each cabin decorated for the Christmas season! Our cabins come in all sizes so you can have a secluded Cute n Cozy Honeymooners cabin, a medium size cabin designed for your immediate family or even a Family Reunion-type cabin holding up to 22!
No matter when you arrive, Rest, Relax, Rejuvenate and Make a Memory-or two and start a new tradition: a winter vacation in the Smoky Mountains- your new Home for the Holidays!
Pat and Heather Monaco
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.